Guys, you’re going to want to make this Keto Zucchini Rollatini ASAP. Thin ribbons of tender zucchini, wrapped around a creamy ricotta & spinach filling, all held together by a silky egg custard? Yeah. It’s as exactly as delicious as it sounds! Get on it!
I’ll be the first to admit that this keto zucchini rollatini is not a recipe that I’d classify as “easy.” It’s not that it’s hard to make, it’s just more hands on then a lot of my other Keto Recipes. But I promise you, If you take the time to make this low carb rollatini recipe, you won’t regret it!!!!
To cut down on prep time, I recommend using a kitchen mandolin to slice your zucchini. I couldn’t find mine anywhere, so I did it with a sharp knife, and while it worked, it was definitely more time consuming and some of the pieces came out thicker than I would have liked. The thicker the slice of zucchini, the harder it is to roll – so thinner is better in this keto zucchini rollatini recipe.
Of course I found the mandolin randomly the day after I made this when I was looking for something else. Which is pretty much par for the course around here. 🙄😂
One of my concerns when making this keto zucchini rollatini was that it would just fall apart when you scoop it out of the pan. If that would be the case, why go through all the work of making the separate rolls? Might as well just throw it all in there together and hope for the best, amirite?
After I had the rolls in the pan, I decided to take a chance on making a quick egg custard and pouring it to act as a binder. I was hoping it wouldn’t mess with the texture or add a weird flavor. I was super excited to see that not only did it work well to hold together, as you can see in the photo above, but it also tasted amazing because it soaked up all the juices from the zucchini and melted cheese.
There is a hint of nutmeg in the cheese mixture of this keto zucchini rollatini, and it really heightens the earthy spinach and slightly sweet ricotta. I liked the flavors of this low carb rollatini so much on its own, that I ate the leftovers without the marinara sauce all week long.
Don’t get me wrong, the keto marinara sauce adds another layer of brightness and flavor, but this keto zucchini rollatini does NOT need it to be delicious.
Fantastic as a main dish or side dish, this meatless zucchini rollatini is also the perfect keto brunch recipe, because it tastes as good or better at room temperature or even slightly chilled as it does piping hot!
This keto zucchini rollatini recipe was a definite win, and I’m so very excited for you guys to try it! If you decide to tackle it, please report back as I’m dying to hear how you liked it! And be sure to tag me on Instagram @ibreatheimhungry if you make it and snap a pic! 🙌🏻
This Keto Zucchini Rollatini boasts thin ribbons of tender zucchini, wrapped around a creamy ricotta filling, all held together by a silky egg custard. Low carb, gluten free, nut free.
3 large zucchini, sliced thinly lengthwise
16 ounces ricotta cheese
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 cups chopped raw spinach (or 1 cup frozen chopped spinach)
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange the zucchini slices with sheets of paper towel in between layers on a large plate and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Remove and test to see fi they are pliable enough to roll. If not, microwave them for another 1 or 2 minutes. Cool.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, 2 of the eggs, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese (other 1/2 cup reserved for the topping,) parmesan cheese, spinach, nutmeg, pepper, garlic powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl and stir well to combine.
- Place a slice of zucchini on a cutting board and spoon about 1 tablespoon of filling onto the end closest to you.
- Roll up the zucchini with the filling inside.
- Place the zucchini roll in a 9 inch cake pan or similarly sized casserole dish.
- Repeat with the rest of the zucchini until all of the filling is gone and the dish is full of rolls (discard any extra zucchini.)
- Combine the remaining 2 eggs and 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream in a small bowl and stir with a fork until fully mixed together.
- Pour the custard mixture over the zucchini rolls, tilting the pan gently in a circular motion to make sure the liquid is distributed evenly.
- Top with the reserved 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and slightly puffed.
- Remove from the oven and let set for 20 minutes before serving.
Approximate net carbs per serving = 7g.
- Category: Keto Main Dishes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 8 rolls or 2 cups
- Calories: 405
- Fat: 30g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 27g
Keywords: Zucchini Rollatini, Keto Rollatini, Vegetarian Keto