This keto California omelet is a great low-carb, high-fat breakfast option that’s packed with flavor, healthy fats, protein and electrolytes from shrimp, avocado, red bell peppers, green onions, and plenty of butter — what’s an omelet without butter? If you are dairy-free, simply swap for duck fat or olive oil.
This keto recipe yields one very large omelet or two small omelets. Feel free to make this quick and serve by cutting in half or if you’re the one meal a day (OMAD) style keto eater who practices intermittent fasting, this makes a great large meal! Serve it up with extra hot sauce on the side for a fiery kick!
Save on Prep Time and Cook Your Bacon in Advance
This recipe uses crispy bacon — always keep some cooked bacon in the fridge so you can use it in meals and save on prep time.
There are two ways to cook bacon. Crisping up bacon in a skillet is ideal for cooking just a few slices, while baking in the oven is better for large batches.
How to Cook Bacon in a Skillet?
Place the slices in a hot skillet. Add about 1/2 cup (120 ml) water and cook on medium until the water evaporates and the bacon is crisped up, for 10-15 minutes. As the fat renders, the bacon will cook and crisp up in it. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the crisped up bacon to a plate, leaving the rendered fat in the skillet.
If you’re using leaner bacon slices, you can lightly grease the skillet with ghee, lard or duck fat and then cook for 2-3 minutes per side until crisp. You can then store your bacon in the fridge for up to four days or freeze for up to three months.
How to Cook Bacon in the Oven?
To cook bacon in the oven, preheat the oven to 190 °C/ 375 °F (fan assisted), or 210 °C/ 410 °F (conventional). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Lay the bacon strips out flat on the baking paper, leaving space so they don’t overlap. Place the tray in the oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown. The time depends on the thickness of the bacon slices. When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down.
If you have time, use lower temperature setting and cook your bacon at 160 °C/ 320 °F (fan assisted), or 180 °C/ 355 °F (conventional) for 25-30 minutes. The bacon cooks more evenly and it’s less likely to burn it.
Nutritional values (per serving)
Net carbs4.7 grams
Calories from carbs 3%, protein 24%, fat 73%
Total carbs12.2 gramsFiber7.5 gramsSugars2.3 gramsSaturated fat18.6 gramsSodium1,019 mg(44% RDA)Magnesium77 mg(19% RDA)Potassium907 mg(45% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- 6 large eggs, whisked
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp hot sauce (you can make your own Sriracha Sauce)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp butter, ghee or duck fat (43 g/ 1.5 oz)
- 10-12 pieces cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined (115 g/ 4 oz)
- 2 tbsp minced parsley or cilantro
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper (37 g/ 1.3 oz)
- 1 medium green onion, sliced (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- 1 large avocado, sliced (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 2 slices cooked bacon (32 g/ 1.1 oz)
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs, lemon juice, hot sauce, and salt together. You can make one large omelet and eat half per serving, or make 2 regular omelets.
- Heat the butter in a large nonstick pan over medium-low heat. Once melted pour in the whisked eggs. Cook lifting the edges with a spatula and tilting the pan to allow uncooked egg to run under the omelet until set but still moist on top. If you’re making 2 smaller omelets, cook them in batches.
- Arrange the shrimp, parsley, bell pepper, green onion, avocado and bacon across the top of the omelet. Gently fold in half and cook another 2-3 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve immediately.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving)
|Eggs, free-range or organic|
|1.1 g||18.8 g||14.3 g||215 kcal|
|Lemon juice, fresh|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, homemade (KetoDiet blog)|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Butter, unsalted, grass-fed|
|0 g||0.2 g||17.3 g||153 kcal|
|Prawns, shrimp (cooked, peeled)|
|0.5 g||11.6 g||1 g||60 kcal|
|Parsley, fresh (spices)|
|0.1 g||0.1 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Peppers, red bell, fresh|
|0.7 g||0.2 g||0.1 g||6 kcal|
|Spring onion, scallion, green onion, fresh|
|0.4 g||0.1 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|1.8 g||2 g||14.7 g||161 kcal|
|Bacon, crispy (bacon grease removed)|
|0 g||2.4 g||0.8 g||17 kcal|
|Total per serving|
|4.7 g||35.4 g||48.2 g||615 kcal|
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!