These easy low-carb Shrimp Cobb Salad Jars are a great packable lunch idea for keto on-the-go!
You can prepare these ahead of time up to 2 days in advance. We’ve chosen to go with a delicious cilantro dressing here but blue cheese or even ranch are equally delicious. If you’re not a fan of cilantro, fresh parsley will be just as delicious!
To make these low-carb and keto salad jars super easy, buy pre-cooked shrimp and even pre-boiled eggs if you wish. Otherwise add about 20 minutes to the cook time here. For tips on how to cook the perfect hard boiled eggs and how to make crispy bacon, check out the tips below!
How to Hard-Boil Eggs
To boil the eggs, place them in a pot and fill with water covering them by an inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once the water starts boiling, turn off the heat and cover with a lid. Remove from the burner and keep the eggs covered in the pot for 13 minutes (10 minutes for medium sized eggs, 15 minutes for extra large eggs). When done, transfer to a bowl filled with ice water and let them sit for 5 minutes.
To peel, remove from the ice water and crack each egg several times on the kitchen surface. Gently peel off the shells. Fresh eggs don’t peel well. It’s better if you use eggs that you bought 7-10 days before cooking.
How to Cook Bacon
You can crisp up your bacon in the oven or in a skillet. Oven is better for large batches while a skillet is better when you cook just a few slices.
To cook the bacon in a skillet, fry the bacon slices for 2 minutes per side until crisp. Bacon is naturally high in fat so you won’t need to add any oil, however, it helps if you add a few tablespoons of water to help render the fat and crisp it up.
For large batches, cook your bacon in the oven. To do that, preheat the oven to 190 °C/ 375 °F (fan assisted), or 210 °C/ 410 °F (conventional). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Lay the bacon strips out flat on the baking paper, leaving space so they don’t overlap. Place the tray in the oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown. The exact time depends on the thickness of the bacon slices. When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down.
Cooked bacon can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for several weeks.
Sign up for FREE and get:
- 3 free diet plans to help you kickstart
your diet, lose weight and get healthy
- Recipes, giveaways and exclusive
deals delivered directly to your inbox
- A chance to win the KetoDiet app
Nutritional values (per serving)
Net carbs8.3 grams
Calories from carbs 5%, protein 23%, fat 72%
Total carbs18.5 gramsFiber10.2 gramsSugars4.3 gramsSaturated fat10.9 gramsSodium1,682 mg(73% RDA)Magnesium97 mg(24% RDA)Potassium1,256 mg(63% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- 8-10 large cooked shrimp/prawns (170 g/ 6 oz)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered (100 g/ 3.5 oz)
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped (64 g/ 2.3 oz)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (75 g/ 2.6 oz)
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber (65 g/ 2.3 oz)
- 1 head Romaine lettuce (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1 large avocado, diced (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (60 ml/ 2 fl oz)
- 2 tbsp lime juice (30 ml)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Chop the vegetables. Prepare the dressing by mixing all of the ingredients. If you prefer your dressing super smooth, use a blender and process until smooth.
- Cook the eggs and crisp up the bacon. To see how you can do that, check the intro.
- Assemble the jars in this order from bottom to top: dressing, avocado, lettuce, cucumber, red onion, tomato, shrimp, bacon and egg. Season with salt and pepper on top. We used 1-quart/L, wide-mouth jars because they work best as they are easy to eat from.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat, no longer than for up to 2 days. Before eating simply give the jar a shake to distribute the dressing. If you prefer to, empty the salad on a plate — as you flip it, the dressing will spread evenly.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving)
|Prawns, shrimp (cooked, peeled)|
|0.8 g||17.1 g||1.4 g||89 kcal|
|Eggs, hard boiled (free-range or organic)|
|0.4 g||6.3 g||4.8 g||72 kcal|
|Bacon, crispy (bacon grease removed)|
|0 g||9.6 g||3.2 g||67 kcal|
|Tomatoes, cherry, fresh, all varieties|
|0.7 g||0.3 g||0.1 g||6 kcal|
|Onion, red, fresh|
|1 g||0.2 g||0 g||6 kcal|
|0.5 g||0.2 g||0.1 g||4 kcal|
|1.2 g||1.2 g||0.3 g||17 kcal|
|1.8 g||2 g||14.7 g||161 kcal|
|Olive oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||27 g||239 kcal|
|Lime juice, fresh|
|1 g||0.1 g||0 g||3 kcal|
|Coriander (cilantro), fresh|
|0.1 g||0.2 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|0.5 g||0.1 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|0.2 g||0.1 g||0.1 g||2 kcal|
|Onion powder, spices|
|0.4 g||0.1 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Total per serving|
|8.3 g||37.3 g||51.8 g||671 kcal|
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!